Monday, February 06, 2006

ILS504 - Exercise 1 - Get an Article from Buley Library

Our first exercise in ILS504 Reference and Information Services and Sources was to access an article from one of Buley Library's online databases:

Unit 1 – Brief Report on Article

Fortunately, I set up my ID and PIN to access the online resources available through Buley Library last semester. With this information in hand, I went to Buley Library’s home page in order to complete our assignment to search and print out an article from one of Buley’s online databases. From the library’s home page, I clicked on the “Research Guides” link and followed the link to the library science subject guide. I attempted to use the Library Literature database. I authenticated myself via the library’s proxy server. However, the Library Literature link took me to an Ovid Gateway screen where I received a “database wlib does not exist” error message. Undeterred, but mildly frustrated, I returned to the library home page and followed the “Online Databases” link. I chose the Library Science link from the subject drop down menu. The Emerald Full Text database was listed first one the page. I clicked on the link. At Emerald’s home page, I decided to browse by subject and clicked on the “Library Management and Information Services” subject listing. I browsed through the list of available titles in this subject area and settled upon Reference Services Review. I browsed through several years worth of issues and choose an article entitled “Who Says We’re Not Busy? Library Web Page Usage as a Measure of Public Service Activity,” because of my personal interest in web page statistics.

Citation:Welch, Jeanie M. (2005), Who Says We’re Not Busy? Library Web Page Usage as a Measure of Public Service Activity. Reference Services Review. 33 (4), 371(8).

No comments: